Sunday, February 27, 2005

More MOB Credentials

After my initial problems getting the internet feed of the NARN show to work yesterday, I was able to listen to the last 2 hours 19 minutes without losing the connection. This means that I had the privilege of hearing fascinating interviews with State Senator Michele Bachmann, who seems to be on the verge of obtaining a restraining order against Mitch Berg; and Jake Slichter, drummer for Twin Cities based Semisonic, best known for their hit "Closing Time". (You know you have hit the big time when weird Al includes your song in a polka melody.) I had heard that particular tune a few times, but never paid enough attention to know the name of the band before now.

Perhaps I should have been paying more attention. This morning I came across a CD that I had almost forgotten about, "Giddyup" by a band called the Holy Cowboys. The guitarist for this band happens to be my first cousin, once removed, from Saint Paul. In fact, he and his dad were my hosts on my 1994 trip to northern Minnesota. Here he is as a goofy teenager:



Here he is a couple of years ago as a serious professional musician:



Quite a change, eh? As far as I can determine, the Holy Cowboys are no longer together. (It gets harder and harder to keep up with relatives. Musicians are a transient lot.) But they were not shy about touting their meager claim to fame, as this line from the notes to their CD indicates:

We once played a show with a band whose front man used to play drums for the brother of the guy who sang the song 'closing time'(sic)


Whoa! Let me put that in perspective: I am the first cousin once removed of a guitarist whose band once played a show with a band whose front man used to play drums for the brother of the guy who sang "Closing Time" whose band's drummer was interviewed by Chad the Elder on NARN yesterday. By my count, that is exactly six degrees of separation from the MOB. I am practically a Minnesotan already.

No comments: