Sunday, April 24, 2005

Defying the Establishment

A former Student Council President at my old high school is running for mayor of Pittsburgh. I honestly do not remember much about Bill Peduto aside from his name, mostly due to the fact that his supporters were wont to randomly stop students in the hallway and exhort them to cast their ballots for Bill Peduto. Student government never made much of an impact on me, so I didn't really care one way or the other, and I can not remember for the life of me who I voted for.

If I lived in the city of Pittsburgh, I would certainly lean towards supporting Peduto. He has managed to win election to City Council without his party's endorsement (it goes without saying that in Pittsburgh, every elected official is a Democrat), which is always a good sign. He is also the most fiscally responsible of the three main candidates. How often do you encounter than in city politics, especially from a Democrat?

Good luck to Bill Peduto. Always good to see someone from the old hometown succeed.

No comments: