Wednesday, May 18, 2005

Home From the "Wars"?

As I have mentioned a few times on this blog, I really really like Star Wars, and so does my family. Just last night, I had four children crowded around me as I alternated between watching The Phantom Menace and fielding questions about characters' motivations and background story elements. In just a few days, I expect to be seated in a movie theater while spending almost 2 1/2 hours enraptured by the events taking place on screen as Anakin Skywalker undergoes his long-anticipated turn to the Dark Side of the Force.

In an amazing parallel, Anakin's alter ego Hayden Christensen has revealed his affinity for the Dark Side in "real life" (if there is such a thing for Hollywood types):

When the Ottawa Sun asked Christensen if the flick “takes metaphoric shots at the war-mongering politics of U.S. presidents Richard Nixon and the two George Bushes” the star answered: “Absolutely.”

He went on to say that he thinks that some people who weren’t American allies in the Iraq war will love “Revenge of the Sith” because of it.

“I think for that reason the French will be really responsive to it,” Christensen said. “I think they’ll get it. They’ll get the political commentary and the subtext. Anakin says: ‘If you’re not with me, you’re my enemy!’ I think they’ll love it.’”

Boo America! Yay, France! We don't care about raking in the big bucks in America because we have our own friends in other countries! But we're still going to make a fortune here anyway, suckers!

A few weeks ago, I opined that I would quite enjoy watching Natalie Portman's character die on screen because the actress is a useless left-wing idiot who doesn't know when to shut up. Now I know that I can also sit back and enjoy seeing her co-star getting dismembered and boiled alive in molten lava. How satisfying. The sound you hear from the 17th row during that scene will be me going "Mwah-ahah-hah-hah-hah!" as Hayden Christensen becomes a legless, armless mass of scar tissue. This is why I love the movies.

But is there any other disturbing news that could keep me at home when the rest of the galaxy is sitting in air conditioned theaters watching the saga unfold? Well, how about the opinions expressed by the filmmaker himself?

At a press conference, Lucas said the film does mirror history, but he did not set out to comment on U.S. foreign policy under Bush.

"As you go through history, I didn't think it was going to get quite this close. So it's just one of those recurring things," he said.

"I hope this doesn't come true in our country. Maybe the film will waken people to the situation," Lucas added jokingly.

Lucas also said he penned the film long before the U.S. went to war against Iraq.

"When I wrote it, Iraq didn't exist," the filmmaker said with a laugh.

"We were just funding Saddam Hussein and giving him weapons of mass destruction. We didn't think of him as an enemy at that time." He added that the "parallels between what we did in Vietnam and what we're doing in Iraq now are unbelievable."

You have to give him credit for not mentioning George Bush by name. But, in the words of Master Yoda, "The Shroud of the Dark Side has fallen". Lucas's biases have always lurked just below the surface; now he feels comfortable enough to toss out his opinions in the "how could anyone possibly disagree with me" manner so common among left-wing elitists. Watch my movie, and you too will hate George Bush, despise everything that he has done, and oppose everything that he stands for. Sheer arrogance. Lucas is several years past the point of having made too much money. My kids are going to demand more Star Wars merchandise. Will I buy some? Of course I will. Some things are more important than politics. I want to be happy and entertained. I want my family to be happy and entertained. There is no need to join in a boycott, as some have urged.

I am looking forward to seeing how Star Wars ends. But with it, I hope, will end any kind of commercial success enjoyed by George Lucas and the embarrassingly idiotic twits whom he employs to bring his propaganda to life.

1 comment: