Tuesday, May 24, 2005

A Lileks Kind of Day

After writing my semi-review of Star Wars: Episode III the other night -- I say "semi" because there's lots more I can write, but I will wait until I see the movie at least one more time -- I started suffering from some form of writer's block. It wasn't just because I didn't have anything to blog about. It came about because I had the day off yesterday. What am I supposed to do all day when I am at home alone except for the two year old? I can blog all day!

But I didn't. After my wife departed with older three children on school related business, I started cleaning up around the house. Lots of sweeping and stuffing large black bags. Then I let the plumbers in the house to repair -- replace, actually -- my kitchen sink's faucet and spray hose. (While they were here, my daughter kept ducking inside cabinets and darting into other rooms in order to avoid making eye contact with the plumbers. They were scary, but interesting.) After the clean up was done and the plumbers were gone, I sat down at the computer, where I checked out news and blogs. Then I scanned a ton of pictures onto my hard drive. I fed the baby and kept her distracted with a movie later in the afternoon. I was too occupied with events at home, just being a Daddy, to feel motivated to blog.

This morning, it occurred to me. Look at that last paragraph. It sounds like my daughter and I are trying out for an off-Broadway (very off-Broadway) production of a stage play based on the Bleat by James Lileks. One that gets scathing reviews. Ten years ago, I could have posted about spending time with my daughter and it would have just been a nice ordinary piece of writing about a day in my life. Now it feels like I'm trying to rip off Lileks. But I assure you, I am not. I really do have a house that occasionally needs to be fixed, and a little daughter who says and does funny things, and the odd day off from work. Honest.

Now that I have that out of my system, I can resume blogging full steam ahead.

No comments: