Monday, June 20, 2005

Father's Day 2005

Yesterday I had not a care in the world. Why should I, when my family was willing to treat me to some recreation for an alleged holiday that was manufactured to sell greeting cards and other knick-knacks?

I had the most relaxing time at the beach located at Raccoon Creek State Park in Beaver County. It's amazing how involved a boy can get in a building project using wet beach sand. Each of my sons had his own project going while I enjoyed the water with their baby sister. She was a lot of fun. I had her convinced that she was able to grab me by the wrist and pull me up out of the water and onto the beach. It involved me doing a lot of tiptoeing while lying down just below the surface of the water, but it looked convincing enough. The baby was so thrilled that she made her mother do it several times. Heh.

By late afternoon everyone was getting hungry and it was time to find a restaurant. We stopped at a new eatery called CiCi's Pizza. How could I have never heard of this place before? Well, apparently, it is new to the area. The first location opened in Texas twenty years ago and has been steadily expanding towards the east and the north -- and, Lafayette, they are here! The selection is very simple: you have a basic salad bar, two kinds of pasta, and a variety of pizza with a couple of desserts and a soda fountain, all of it self-serve buffet style, for about $4 per person. We paid less that half of what it would normally cost us to eat out. And the best part of all? The food was actually GOOD. Different pizzas are cooked and placed on the buffet line all day long. The barbecued ribs and taco pizzas were nice. What an experience! The employees were some of the nicest, most enthusiastic people that I have ever encountered. I'm going back again sometime soon.

We capped off the day with a movie: The Adventures of Lavagirl and Sharkboy in 3D. Interesting -- I can not recall ever having been to a 3D movie before. My younger son has been wanting to see this for a while, and he was not disappointed. It is very much a kids' movie, so you really need to view it with a child's eyes. Anyone who says "so this is the latest movie by the guy who did Sin City?" just doesn't get it. (All you need to know about in inanity of the movie reviewer's profession is right here.) It was a nice escape from the real world for a couple of hours -- just like the beach trip and the pizza buffet.

I had a nice Father's Day, and I didn't need a prefab greeting card or a tie to make me happy. The sunburn and the uncleanness smudge on my glasses have been driving me bathe since I got home last night, but you know what? It was worth it. Every Sunday afternoon should be like that.

No comments: