Friday, June 24, 2005

I Myself Am Totally Depraved

Doug at bloggy good Bogus Gold directs us to a quiz that is supposed to determine one's religious worldview. How accurate can it be? This one is over sixty questions long, and I found myself having no feelings or opinions on many of the statements given. For the record, I have attended Lutheran churches all of my life, aside from a period in my youth when I was uninterested in religion in general. However, I would feel just as comfortable in almost any Protestant congregation. So what does this quiz say about me?

You scored as Evangelical Holiness/Wesleyan. You are an evangelical in the Wesleyan tradition. You believe that God's grace enables you to choose to believe in him, even though you yourself are totally depraved. The gift of the Holy Spirit gives you assurance of your salvation, and he also enables you to live the life of obedience to which God has called us. You are influenced heavily by John Wesley and the Methodists.

Evangelical Holiness/Wesleyan


75%

Neo orthodox


64%

Reformed Evangelical


61%

Emergent/Postmodern


57%

Fundamentalist


54%

Classical Liberal


54%

Modern Liberal


43%

Charismatic/Pentecostal


43%

Roman Catholic


32%

What's your theological worldview?
created with QuizFarm.com

Hmmm. Based on my Roman Catholic scoring, I must be the Anti-Doug. I have never been big on dogma. Whenever I am around a lot of Catholics (one of those "accident of marriage" things), I feel like the only one in the room who's on a Kool-Aid-free diet.

So what exactly am I drinking instead? Unfermented grape juice, apparently. (Another indication of my anti-Dougliness.)

In recent years I have tended to lean more towards reformed churches like Presbyterian and Methodist. My own Lutheran church tends to be -- dare I say it? -- too Catholic at times. I like the feeling of being in control of things, of having a choice, hence this sentence from my quiz results stands out: "You believe that God's grace enables you to choose to believe in him, even though you yourself are totally depraved." There's a whole lot of depravity goin' on out there. A lot of Christians will readily admit that. Makes me wonder why there aren't more Methodists running around out there.

1 comment:

Doug said...

So what exactly am I drinking instead? Unfermented grape juice, apparently. (Another indication of my anti-Dougliness.)

I can give you a pass on the religion thing, but THAT is blasphemy!