Saturday, July 09, 2005

Conspicuous By Its Violence


One of my favorite exhibits at the Carnegie Museum of Natural History in Pittsburgh is one that stands out as a particularly violent sort of display amidst the many stuffed animals that are posed upright and alone in rather docile positions. Perhaps it is the violence that makes it one of my favorites. (You can analyze me later.)

The exhibit is descriptively titled Arab Courier Attacked By Lions. As you can see in the photograph, the camel-riding delivery man has managed to slay one of the attacking kitties but is hanging on for dear life as the larger and more fierce lion attempts to drag him down onto the ground. This maneuver, if successful, would give the lion an advantage in the fight. If I were a betting man, my money would be on the cat.

As much as I love the dinosaurs, and the Greek statues, and the mammoth skeletons, my museum visits would not be complete without dropping by this glass-encased scene of carnage. It well deserves its own web page, so be sure to visit the link above to read about the history behind the exhibit.

No more will I have to go out of my way to convince people that "if you go upstairs to the Carnegie Museum, there's a guy gettin' eaten by a couple o' lions!"

No comments: