Thursday, July 07, 2005

Fear of Public Transportation

A gentleman on my morning bus was discussing this tragic news from the United Kingdom:

LONDON (AP) - Half a dozen explosions rocked the London subway and tore open a packed double-decker bus during the morning rush hour Thursday, police said. The blasts killed at least two people and injured scores in what a shaken Prime Minister Tony Blair said was a series of "barbaric" terrorist attacks.
If the intent of the London bombers was indeed to terrorize, they were successful. In addition to maiming and killing people in England, the bombers have managed to scare at least one person in the United States. My fellow bus rider was ready to give up on public transportation altogether.

So how does a bus-and-subway attack in London cause someone in Pittsburgh to rethink his morning ride to work?

If it can happen there, it can happen anywhere. Ultimately, there is no place where we can feel completely safe. That is why I do not panic when I hear a low flying aircraft passing over my neighborhood on its way to the airport. If something falls on my house and kills me, I am just as dead as if I am killed in a car wreck.

This is not going to keep me from riding buses and trolleys.

No comments: