Thursday, July 14, 2005

Manning the War Room

Local morning radio hosts Quinn & Rose from WPGB-FM (and syndicated in the tri-state area by Clear Channel) have been on vacation this week, and rather than running "Best of" shows, a succession of guest hosts have been filling in. Last Friday's host was Marty Minto; I knew the name, but couldn't remember why until I Googled him. Oh yes, he is the Minister who was fired from a Christian talk station for espousing his religious beliefs. Go figure.

On Monday and Tuesday of this week, the guest host was some weatherman from Cleveland who is between jobs at the moment. Good luck, pal.

The rest of this week is a real treat. Herman Cain is hosting "America's Morning Show". I actually know who this man is. You can learn more about him by visiting his web site. One of my most memorable vacation moments involved Herman Cain.

Back in 1994, I was driving along the Mississippi River from the Quad Cities to Saint Paul. Rush Limbaugh was on the air, it was lunch time, and I was getting hungry. Rush was recounting an exchange between President Bill Clinton and a businessman at a "town hall" meeting the previous day. The businessman, who at the time was the CEO of Godfather's Pizza, was debating Clinton about regulating businesses. This CEO pointed out that, in order to comply with government regulations, he would need more money to cover costs, which the company would have to pass along to the consumer by raising prices. Higher prices would hurt his business because fewer people would be willing to pay higher prices for the pizza. Clinton responded by telling the businessman that it was no problem because he would still buy it.

I'm not sure which is scarier: (1) Bill Clinton rather stupidly suggesting that he could (almost single-handedly, mind you) keep Godfather's Pizza in business by eating more of their food; or (2) the possibility that he might actually manage to pull it off. At taxpayer expense, of course. "Do you deliver? The address is 1600 Pennsylvania Avenue."

Anyway, like I said, I was hungry and needed some lunch. Driving into a town called Clinton, Iowa, I spotted a restaurant called Godfather's Pizza. Now I am not normally given to believing in things like omens and the like, but there was something almost supernatural about seeing that particular restaurant in a place with that particular name. Guess where I had lunch that day? Since I was traveling alone, I hit the pizza buffet and loaded up quickly before getting back out on the road. I felt like I had done something good by eating there. By publicly standing up to Bill Clinton, the CEO of Godfather's Pizza gave his company something invaluable: Free advertising. He deserved it.

It wasn't until several years later that I learned the name of the CEO. He was Herman Cain. These days, he is an advocate for the fair tax. He also has a weekly three hour talk show down in Georgia (also available on the internet) If he doesn't get elected to public office (he ran for US Senate last year), he ought to have a daily talk show. He's an excellent host.

No comments: