Wednesday, July 20, 2005

There But For the Grace of God Go I

A few years ago, after about 8-9 years in retail, I reached the point where I had gotten so fed up with my job that I was desperate for anything. I kept seeing ads for jobs at PNC Bank, which looked tempting, but I held off until I took my current position with a large non-profit institution almost five years ago. PNC would have meant more money and possibly better opportunities for advancement, but my employer offers more job security and excellent benefits.

If I had gotten a job at PNC Bank, I would be getting ready to look for new employment right about now. The company just announced that it will be laying off 3,000 employees over the next year. I am more interested in security than I am in risk taking, and news like this dissuades me from considering moving to a corporate job.

PNC seems like a company that pays well, but I have heard some negative things about the company as an employer. A few years ago, the wife of a former co-worker took a job with PNC, whereupon her father, who also worked for PNC, warned her to take her money out of that bank and put it somewhere else because PNC liked to snoop on its employees' financial dealings. I have no idea whether this is true, but it is suspicious.

What I do know is that I took all of my money out of PNC Bank when the new Pirates ballpark was built a few years ago. The bank sponsored the mostly publicly-funded stadium, whereupon it was christened PNC Park. The unholy alliance of corporate sponsorship and taxpayer-looting local government convinced me to never again pay to watch a baseball game or keep my money in PNC Bank.

And now I am fairly certain that I will never go looking for a job there, either.

No comments: