Saturday, August 13, 2005

For Crying Out Loud

Today's Trib reports on the most heartbreaking story of our times:

As James W. Presley, of East Liberty, stood pumping gasoline Friday at a BP service station in Monroeville, he told of his shock at pump prices of $3.09 a gallon he saw this summer while on vacation in Baker, Calif.

"I started crying," Presley said.

Western Pennsylvania residents should brace themselves for a price similar to that on the West Coast, experts say.

YIKES! That brings a tear to my eye, as well. I know a little about gas price fluctuations since I just drove about 1/3 of the way across the country and back, and I came to a conclusion: If I lived permanently in the Saint Paul neighborhood where I was temporarily quartered, I could probably take the time to drive down to Hastings to fill the gas tank and actually save money. Twin Cities readers with time on your hands, check it out.

Back home in Pittsburgh, I suppose I will just have to wait and see what happens. There is no price war in my part of town; when one station dropped to $2.19 per gallon three weeks ago, so did everyone else. And when one station raised it to $2.30 per gallon a few days later, no one else was left behind.

If it gets to around three bucks per, I may get into the habit of walking everywhere I go. I'm fat and I need the exercise anyway.

No comments: