Tuesday, August 30, 2005

Katrina

The news this week has been so Katrina heavy that I haven't had time to blog in between reading the latest reports. My feelings are a combination of sorrow and awe, as I am sure they are for a lot of folks outside of the storm's path. Not that we won't be affected here in Pennsylvania:

The remnants of Hurricane Katrina are expected to arrive in our area this afternoon, with winds up to 45 mph and up to 4 inches of rain possible, according to the National Weather Service.

A high wind advisory will be in effect from noon to 8 p.m. today, said meteorologist Lee Hendricks. The area can expect sustained winds of 25 to 35 mph, and wind gusts between 40 and 45 mph, Hendricks said. A flood watch also is in effect in the region through tomorrow.

I'm not too worried. I live on one of the highest hills in Allegheny County, and flooding has never been a problem. Lightning and winds are another matter, but they do not cause as much damage as high waters. Just ask the folks who live a five-minute drive away from my neighborhood:

Katrina is not expected to produce the kind of flooding that the area saw after the remnants of Hurricane Ivan moved through last September. "The problem with Ivan was that Hurricane Frances moved through nine days before," he said. "That raised the stream levels and saturated the ground."
The residents of the borough of Carnegie suffered terribly in the wake of Ivan (and they're getting ready for Katrina as well). Let's hope the storm dies down, as predicted, and doesn't cause any more damage.

As for me, well, I'm just going to stay inside and watch the sky show. And pray that nothing blows into my house.

No comments: