Thursday, September 22, 2005

Familiarity

In recent weeks, Lileks has been posting photographs of sights taken around the Twin Cities, taken from his personal collection if I am not mistaken. I usually just look at the picture and think, "Hmmm, that's interesting" and continue reading.

This morning, he posted a photo of something that looked very familiar. Sure enough, it's a building along Snelling Avenue that I passed a few times each day when I lived in the neighborhood for a week last month. Right around the corner and across the street is Rainbow Foods. I stopped at Rainbow on the way home from Keegan's that Thursday night for some munchies. Most of the cars in the parking lot were police cruisers. Nothing was going on...yet. But if it did, man, the cops would be right on top of it. Nice neighborhood.

Anyway, since I am a snoop, I decided to investigate the liquor store in the Lileks photo. The only thing that I could find was this court case from 1988. I can't remember if that building is still a liquor store, but I do wonder if they're still in business.

Not that it matters to me. My host was kind enough to stock his refrigerator with Summit Grand, which kept me quite content on those hot summer evenings. My interest in the liquor store is purely academic. I was a history major, you know.

No comments: