Saturday, September 10, 2005

Lawless-ness On the Galactica

About an hour ago I finished watching the new episode of Battlestar Galactica -- or, as I call it, XENA: MICHAEL MOORE-IOR PRINCESS. Seriously. Lucy Lawless played a blond documentary film maker whose sole purpose seemed to be nothing less than to make the officers and crew of Galactica look bad. She shoved cameras in everyone's face at the worst possible times. She butted in where she wasn't wanted. And she tried to uncover certain bits of information that would have discredited the military and brought everything that was left of human civilization to an end.

I knew there was a catch, though. I say that not because I am some kind of psychic; I say that because I'm not shy about trolling for spoiler information. This pretty, well-built, blond-haired Michael Moore type woman turned out to be an agent of the forces that are trying to destroy civilization.

BSG's re-imaginator, Ronald Moore (hmmm, that name again), has demonstrated in interviews that he has a decidedly left-wing, California, Hollywood view of the world. Very surprising that he would make the Michael Moore character turn out to be a bad guy. Is that just a swerve to trick the audience? Or is he recognizing that people of all stripes watch the show? Either way, BSG is still one of the best shows on television right now, and the only one that I view on a regular basis.

No comments: