Monday, October 31, 2005

Trickster's Treats

It's Trick-or-Treat time in my municipality, and I sit here at home all alone while the spouse and young ones roam from door to door looting the neighborhood. I always get way too much candy. Is that a bad thing? Yes and no -- and I do not believe that I need to explain why.

My house is situated along a row of homes on a hillside. Most of the homes are 2-3 family apartments, and even some of the single family dwellings are rented. Most of my neighbors do not even seem to be at home for passing out candy. Again, this is something that can either be a good or a bad thing.

Because we are on a slope, and because most of the renters nearby do not have children, we do not pass out much candy. I've been giving out two pieces to each kid just so I don't get stuck with enough to last until Christmas. The real action takes place on the other side of the main drag, a block away from my street. The streets are flat, and children live everywhere. People on my street just aren't down with Halloween -- and those are the ones who are actually passing out candy. But across the asphalt divide lies a land of color, sound, and spectacle galore. If the wife gets back soon enough, I may take the older two over there for some more goodies.

Plus, I'd like to get out of the house, even for just a few minutes. That'll keep me from getting an early start on the leftovers.

Great googly-moogly, I can't believe I just live-blogged Trick-or-Treat.

No comments: