Monday, October 10, 2005

Unplanned Absence

Suddenly it occurs to me -- I haven't so much as attempted to compose a post for this blog since last Wednesday. Could it be that I have developed a life away from the internet? Nah. It's just a break.

So what have I been up to? Some marginally interesting stuff, actually. Friday afternoon I attended a surprise office party for a colleague who is in the Pennsylvania National Guard and has just returned from a two-year stint in Iraq. I was a little worried about going -- my workplace, when it gets political, tends to be very left of center, and brutishly so. It is an academic library, after all. What a relief it was to find that the party was all about celebrating the colleague's safe return home and politics never entered into it. That's the way it should be. So how did he feel about his experience? He had recently gotten married and purchased a house, and had absolutely no expectations of being sent overseas when the call to duty came. He appreciated all of the well-wishes and care packages that his co-workers sent to him. And what of Iraq itself? Again, no politics involved. Sure it was dangerous, but he kind of liked being over there. Plenty of amazing sites, and lots of history. He actually looks forward to the day when he can go back as a tourist. That may not happen in our lifetime, realistically, but it is a vision of hope.

Sunday morning I was eating a donut at church when a lady came up to me and asked if I had been losing weight. I responded that I hadn't noticed if I had, but since I was wearing my suit for the first time in months, the coat might be covering up a lot. Perhaps I should have said, "Yeah, I was losing weight, until I started eating this donut." But what do I know? I see myself every day and those kind of changes aren't all that apparent on a daily basis. Maybe I am losing weight, on account of the sunflower seed diet I've been on at work lately. Great way to make 99 cents last for an entire week. I'd be a whole lot more comfortable with myself minus a few rolls of tummy fat.

Interesting stuff happened between Friday afternoon and Sunday morning, but I will save that for another post. WARNING: This blog is going to have a whole lot less in common with Mitch and Foot, and be a whole lot more like Cathy. Current events have just gotten boring for me lately. If you want politics, go watch Doug yell at other bloggers.

No comments: