Friday, December 16, 2005

Bogus Gold's Friday Fun Quiz

Doug comes up with a goody:

Hark! The Herald Angels Sing
You are 'Hark! The Herald Angels Sing'. You take
Christmas very seriously. For you, it is a
religious festival, celebrating the birth of
the Saviour, and its current secularisation
really irritates you. You enjoy the period of
Advent leading up to Christmas, and attend any
local carol services you can find, as well as
the more contemplative Advent church services
each Sunday. You may be involved in Christmas
food collections or similar charity work. The
midnight service at your church, with candles
and carols, is one you look forward to all
year, and you also look forward to the family
get together on Christmas Day.


What Christmas Carol are you?
brought to you by Quizilla

Oh yes. I own a CD that includes the original version of this carol, "Vaterland". It wasn't about Christmas. It was a tribute to Gutenberg and his invention of the printing press, seen from a German pride perspective. Pretty rousing when sung by an all-male chorus.

Oh, and the Christmas carol version is great too!

Most of the interpretive paragraph is accurate, though my church doesn't sing Christmas carols until Christmas. Advent is for Advent hymns. Pastor's discretion, you see. It varies from one congregation to the next. I'd rather sing Christmas carols all month long, but I'm not in charge.

I'm also not Catholic, so midnight church is not a part of my plans. Midnight is when the kids ought to be in bed asleep so that they don't get in the way of the annual visit from Santa Claus -- who, apparently, is some sort of Catholic saint.

Curious. When I was a kid, I wrote him letters. Do Catholic kids pray to Santa Claus? (Perhaps not: The Pope un-sainted him in 1969.)

Less clear is Mr. Claus's political affiliation. Sorry, TCS, but I'll stick with P. J. O'Rourke on this one.

1 comment:

jipzeecab said...

I turned out to be "Silent Night" which wasn't mentioned but come to think of it is the carol which is "always there".
When it kept referring to "cricket" I found myself picturing early 20th century "sun never sets" places like Singapore, Bermuda, Bombay..swirling ceiling fans and gin and tonic...of course it turned out to be from Australia somewhere.