Wednesday, December 21, 2005

But The Food Was Worth The Wait

An hour ago, I expected to be sitting down in just a few minutes to write a glowing review of a burger joint that recently opened just a couple of blocks from my office. After all, I was the only customer in the shop when I walked through the door. Unfortunately, things didn't go so smoothly. After placing my take out order, I sat down to wait patiently while waiting the promised 7-8 minutes for my Bacon Cheeseburger with Everything and a side of fries. This place has free peanuts all over the place, so you have something to munch on while you wait. Everything is cooked while you wait, which means that there aren't pre-cooked burgers sitting around waiting for someone to order them, which is what most fast food restaurants seem to do. As a result, you need to hang on for a few minutes. So I did. I ate peanuts for about five minutes and then listened more intently for my number.

After nearly ONE WHOLE FRIGGING HALF HOUR of watching everyone who came in after me get their burgers, I went up to the counter and asked how long the food would take. I figured that a burger with "everything" might take a little longer than one that just has ketchup. "That went out a long time ago", came the reply. They never called my number. I heard every number up to the fifteenth one after mine, but I never heard the one on my receipt. Besides, the food was gone, meaning that some S.O.B. took my meal!

The restaurant guys were nice enough to do a rush job and handed me a
Bacon Cheeseburger with Everything and an extra big helping of fries. That was nice. I couldn't really blame them for someone else grabbing my bag of food. I am a little unhappy that they didn't call my number, but they made up for it.

The food went down well. I heartily recommend it. But if you go, keep an eye on the counter. The next bag of burgers and fries that goes out the door may be yours.

No comments: