Monday, January 30, 2006

Viral

I've been so frustrated by my attempts to deal with memory destroying virus protection programs on my computer that I forgot about viruses that might penetrate my human body. Have you ever used an anti-virus program that was as bad as a virus itself? That's how my computer has been the last couple of weeks.

Meanwhile, something has penetrated my immune system and kept me off my feet for the better part of the last 24 hours. It got to my Frau, too, but she had to go to work and suffer through it for eight consecutive hours. Otherwise, she too was as immobile as I was.

Not fun, especially when the kids have the run of the house. If they had to fend for themselves, they would live on a diet of peanut butter sandwiches and ice cream. They make a lot of noise, too. Kids are noisy all of the time, but it really hits you hard when your head and stomach are both about to erupt. On the positive side, a couple of them have since complained about stomach pains and nausea. See how YOU like being sick, you little vandals!

*******

Now it's Monday morning, and I'm feeling good, in that woozy kind of way that hits you when you're in the recovery stage after being hit low for a couple of days. It figures, too. Why doesn't this ever happen on days when I'm scheduled to work? Does my body have some kind of weekday immunity that prevents me from using up all of my sick time?

2 comments:

Doug said...

Don't knock your body's decision to just mess with your weekends. Last winter I had the worst concurrent batch of illness I've ever had. I ended up burning up all my vacation time as sick time, leaving almost no time off for the rest of the year.

Nicko McDave said...

Not only am I not knocking it, I am actually embracing it. I use all of my sick time on child related problems, which is why I am now sitting at home caring for a sick little one instead of taking care of business at the office.

On a positive note, I have been at my current employer for just over five years, which means that I now get three weeks of vacation time per year instead of just two. I just won't know what to do with myself when summer rolls around.