Wednesday, February 08, 2006

And Then There Were...Two?

Holy cow! I almost choked on my Grape Nuts cereal when I read this:


Former Lt. Gov. Bill Scranton dropped out of the governor's race yesterday, all but assuring Lynn Swann of the Republican nomination to face incumbent Democrat Ed Rendell.

I knew that the Scranton campaign was imploding, but I didn't think it would end this soon. You have to give him credit, though. He did the best thing for his party by getting out now and avoiding a major primary battle that could hurt the Swann campaign in the long run. So it looks like the Steelers not only have a World Championship, but also a gubernatorial candidate.

That's right -- Swann has momentum from the Super Bowl victory:


While Mr. Swann was taking in the Downtown victory parade for the Steelers
-- an appearance that at one point was met by chants of "governor, governor'' --
Mr. Scranton huddled with advisers in Harrisburg, then telephoned key supporters
around the state to say he was leaving the race.

Reading between the lines (i.e. making something up with absolutely no evidence whatsoever to support it), it is possible that Scranton made a private bet with an associate -- a bet on the Seahawks. If that had happened and someone were to leak it, it would be the end of Scranton's campaign. As indeed it was, if it had actually happened, which I doubt, because I just now made it up.

It looks like my intended vote for Jim Panyard is going to be just for kicks. It's always nice to have a primary option, even when I know that I'm going to be voting for Swann in November.

5 comments:

jipzeecab said...

I used to belong to a political cabal. Our motto was "Get in early and scare everybody else out.." which of course never worked for us.
It's working for "Swannee" though isn't it..
I can't wait to see the look on Rendell's face on election night when he discovers what a black candidate is going to do to his traditional Dem base in Philadelphia and elsewhere..

Nicko McDave said...

It's still too early to say which way "the black vote" will go, but I believe that Swann can make inroads into the communities where Scranton would not have been able to, and where possibly even Rendell might not.

I don't suppose your cabal was called the "Conch Republican" party by any chance, was it?

jipzeecab said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
jipzeecab said...

I awoke this morning remembering that if one googles ones name it can turn up in strange places so I deleted the comment I made yesterday concerning the cabal.

Nicko McDave said...

Yeah, it's always best to stay one step ahead of the law.