Thursday, February 02, 2006

Every Hog Has Its Day

Have you ever forgotten what day it was? Not the date, but the specific day of the year that people look forward to for weeks? I had forgotten what today was until someone started passing out cookies on my bus this morning. They were groundhog cookies. Cute little gingerbread groundhogs, each individually sealed in a little ziploc type bag.

It's almost too cute to eat. Almost, I said.

The hog has already seen his shadow this morning, according to the folks up at Gobbler's Knob. Oh crap, you can't even get away from the Super Bowl insanity in a nice quiet little town like Punxsutawney! I guess it depends what time of year you go there. My only visit was during the summer, about eight years ago. We didn't go for any groundhog related reasons. We went to visit a buffalo ranch.

It's been a long time since I had some bison meat. Why don't they sell that stuff at my local supermarket? Buffalo burgers for lunch and a groundhog cookie for dessert just can't be beat.

1 comment:

jipzeecab said...

I don't know if they are still doing it or not, but the deli next to the bridge in West Newton on Thursdays would always make a lunch special which involved bison. It was so popular that when I stopped by at 12:05pm on a Thursday it was already gone.