Thursday, March 16, 2006

Lasting Impact

Here's an interesting little tidbit from a photo journal in this morning's PG:

Each year, sophomores in English classes at Plum, reading Shakespeare's "Julius Caesar," wear Roman period dress on March 15, the date in 44 B.C. when the Roman emperor was assassinated.
(Plum Borough, for you out-of-towners, is located a little ways east of Pittsburgh.)

This Roman tradition sounds cool. And the girl in the photo looks legitimately sad over the killing. People still care about Caesar, 2050 years later.

Or maybe she just looks downbeat because that's what all violin players look like when performing. Either way, you can't deny that Julius Caesar changed the course of world history.

2 comments:

jipzeecab said...

I've always been able to remember the "15th of March" because on that date (a foggy wet night I might add)19 years ago my ex-wife threw me out of the house and out of her life for good!

Nicko McDave said...

Man, that's a heck of a way to remember a date. It could be worse, though -- a former in-law of mine hated Christmas because her sister died right around the holiday when she was a kid. Everything about Christmas just brought back the bad memories.

If my wife ever kicks me out, the first thing I will do is look for the nearest pub (there are about five within two blocks of my house) and try to recapture the magic of living single.