Monday, March 27, 2006

The Omega Hog

Good food is about to get better! From this morning's PG:

Someday you could eat bacon and ham instead of fish and nuts to get heart-healthy omega-3 fatty acids into your diet.

Researchers from the University of Pittsburgh School of Medicine, the University of Missouri-Columbia's National Swine Resource and Research Center, and Massachusetts General Hospital have made pigs that produce the beneficial nutrients.
Nice. I would consume more bacon and ham if it didn't feel like it clumps in the middle of my chest every time I eat it. Besides, as I like to tell people, I am ethnically German, so my religion requires that I eat the flesh of porcine mammals. But what's the deal with this omega-3 stuff anyway?

Omega-3 fatty acids cut triglyceride levels, the risk of irregular heartbeat, and the growth of artery-clogging atherosclerotic plaques, according to the American Heart Association. The association recommends eating fish, preferably fatty ones such as salmon, at least twice a week because it is rich in omega-3.
Pig as healthy as fish! Think about it. It's not just the other white meat, but it'll be just like the other other white meat. Maybe a bit too much, as experimentation has shown:

In one study, pigs were fed flaxseed, leading to an elevation in one subtype of omega-3, and "the bacon tasted like fish," Dr. Dai said, laughing.
I would prefer it if fish tasted more like bacon. Can they do that? After making the pig as healthy as fish, can they make the fish taste like bacon? That would be doubly cool.

What is not cool is this fact of current-day America that I gleaned from the article: The Federal Government regulates the food chain. I have always thought of the food chain as an aspect of nature that transcends our ability to control it. Now I learn that the feds are involved. Sorry, folks, but that just activates the "libertarian outrage chip" that God implanted in my DNA. Give me the pig. I want to eat the pig NOW.

3 comments:

Pittsburgh Critical Mass Blog said...

sorry baby, if you want a true individualist libertarian pig, you are going to have to hunt it yourself.

Nicko McDave said...

Well, I would if the pig showed up in my back yard!

jipzeecab said...

They actually have wild hogs running free in North Florida like we have deer around here..I'm not sure of their politics but I would bet they would have a libertarian leaning..
I once toured a "GoldKist" chicken plant (it's a huge coop which I think is the third largest poultry producer after Tyson and Frank what's his face).. They had three Agriculture Dept inspectors on duty there in the plant at all times when it was operating...