Wednesday, March 22, 2006

Where Do You Live?

The late Winter/early Spring nastiness that is the start of the primary election campaign has caused one of the candidates in my PA House district to go on the defensive, both in court and in the media:

Michael J. Crossey makes it perfectly clear that he maintains two residences.

One is in Mt. Lebanon, where he raised his family, served as a municipal commissioner and county councilman and made an unsuccessful bid for state representative in 2002.

The second is in Dormont, where, he says, he moved by himself two years ago to run for state representative in a district more friendly to Democrats.

In point of fact, my district is friendly to Democrats. It makes me feel dirty, like I've penetrated the enemy lines and my body is covered in a mass of mud and blood from crawling over barbed wire. Like I could be shot if discovered. Of course, I feel that way everywhere I go, especially at work.

"I consider myself to live in both homes, but I consider my primary residence in Dormont," Mr. Crossey told Commonwealth Court yesterday during a hearing challenging his candidacy. "I have maintained a residence there, voted there and paid wage taxes there."
So do I, but I don't own a home in safe, luxurious, comfortable Mt. Lebanon on the side. I couldn't afford to, anyway. There is, however, an advantage to the arrangement that I find inspiring:

As a result, Eileen Crossey said, the couple has had a "less traditional" marriage the last two years than before. She makes meals and washes clothes for her husband in Mt. Lebanon -- "I'm pampered," Mr. Crossey said -- and also makes curtains and does other housework about three miles away in Dormont, where Mr. Crossey said he sleeps "probably less than once a week."
Oh yes, I could live that way. Keep the wife (and kids) in another house in another part of town, while I get a pad all to myself. And she still does all the work at both homes. I would feel like a medieval warlord. Life can't get much better than that. Except that I wouldn't use the word "pampered" to describe my situation. It would give the impression that I must need to wear diapers. Brand names are powerful things.

Mr. Crossey works as a special education teacher in the Keystone Oaks School District and dabbles in real estate and financial planning on the side, but he remains enamored with the possibility of serving in Harrisburg. If he remains on the ballot and wins this year, Mrs. Crossey said, she will move in with him in the 27th District.
I don't know about Mike Crossey and his wife, but if were to run for office in similar circumstances and my wife told me "If you win, I'll move in with you," I would consider it a threat. Perhaps enough of a threat to consider running for office in Alaska.

I understand that there are a lot of places in Alaska that are friendlier to Republicans than my district.

No comments: