Wednesday, August 23, 2006

Time To Put The Old Horse To Sleep

There are quite a few long-in-the-tooth folks where I work about whom I can't help thinking, "if he/she were a horse, he'd/she'd have been glue twenty years ago". I feel the same way about a certain country & western musician whose name, roughly translated into English, means "Dick Stranglehold".

He's a "legend", as they say, because he's been around for just about forever. He's not one of my favorites, but I won't deny that he has talent, either. His style just doesn't float my boat. But that's okay -- I have a lot of favorite bands and artists who are rapidly aging and won't appeal to most of my contemporaries. My beef is not with his music.

No, my problem is with Mr. Stranglehold's apparent belief that he is such a major influence in American politics that he involves himself in races that he is not even eligible to vote in.

Two years ago, he endorsed Dennis Kucinich for President in the Democrat primary. That's fine. He was an American citizen expressing his beliefs. He could, and presumably did, vote for Kucinich.

He recently endorsed author Kinky Friedman for Governor of Texas. Again: it's his state, and his candidate. Friedman, in turn, promises to put Dick Stranglehold in charge of Texas energy policy if elected. It's all fair.

So what the heck was Mr. Stranglehold doing up in Missouri endorsing a gubernatorial candidate? How influential is this guy, anyway? I'll tell you what -- if he ever comes to Pennsylvania to endorse some crackpot Democrat, I'll go out and buy some cheap used Dick Stranglehold CDs just so I can melt them into plastic sludge. Maybe.

In the interest of equal time, let's find out what Mr. Stranglehold says about his history of political endorsements:

But just about everybody I've campaigned for has lost. I don't know why they
keep calling me.
They called him??? It makes you wonder if these politicians share his fondness for what he calls his "Maui-Wowie".

Say good night, Dick.

3 comments:

Kinky is Awesome said...

"Dick Stranglehold" -- LOL!

For months now, on my own blog, I have been fending off bed-wetting liberals who want to claim Kinky as one of their own.

I would show them that Kinky doesn't give a rat's a$$ about political correctness and that Kinky has run for office as a Republican and he's voted for Bush and he has immigration plans to satisfy the minutemen alongside school prayer plans to satisfy a Baptist minister, but still the liberals would not accept that Kinky is a dyed-in-the-wool conservative.

Even after I showed the liberals where Kinky said that the anti-war, anti-Lieberman wing of the Democratic Party is anti-American, those liberals still held fast to their misbelief that Kinky is a liberal.

Finally, we have an answer from Kinky Friedman himself:
"I'm not a liberal, believe me. I'm a compassionate redneck, far more conservative than I am liberal."

jipzeecab said...

I'm not sure how you attracted what appears initially to be a "bot" comment..but I confess to being a "Kinky Freeman fan" also. It's almost impossible not to be if you've ever heard the song "They ain't making jews like Jesus anymore."

Kinky is Awesome said...

Jipzeecab:

Who you callin' a bot?