Tuesday, November 07, 2006

Happy Election Day!

It's here. Already. Be sure to wish all of your friends, enemies, relatives, co-workers, classmates and complete strangers a Happy Election Day.

Why?, you may well ask. Just try it out. It's worth it just for the look on someone else's face. Priceless.

No matter who wins, life will still go on. Sure, there have been heated, emotional campaigns for most of the big races. You won't drop dead if your candidate loses. I hope not, anyway.

Back in 1992 I showed up for work the day after Election Day, and my co-workers (almost all Democrats) spoke to me as though someone in my family had just died. "You're not upset, are you?" Well, no, not at all. I woke up in the morning, walked out the front door, and everything looked the same. It's just politics.

What I really wanted to say, though, was "I can't believe Clinton won! I ran out the front door, tore my shirt, and dropped dead in the street!" I was just joking, but...

If you are so emotionally invested in this year's elections that you are in danger of mortal collapse when the returns come in, then let me take this opportunity to wish you one last Happy Election Day before you croak!

No comments: