Monday, December 11, 2006

Cute Little Babies

It seems like many of my waking hours at home these days are spent sitting in front of the television set while feeding my two-month old son his bottle. I like it. Not only am I bonding with my boy, but I am rediscovering television in a big way. My favorite channel (as of this week, anyway) is National Geographic. Every time I turn it on, there is some kind of gripping documentary that is just too interesting not to watch. Like the one about killer baboons who steal babies from villagers' houses. Or the one that shows how baboons are so harmless that a naturalist can walk her little kids through a whole mob of the things and none of them care. That's what you call variety, folks.

Last week I caught a show called "In the Womb" that followed the course of a human pregnancy from the inside via some vivid ultrasound photography. I love stuff like this, and I enjoy sharing it with my kids. (Except for the beginning, where everything is about "penis", "vagina" and "sperm". They're not ready for that yet.) It gives them a better idea of where they came from beyond "in Mummy's belly".

When I found out that a second show called "In the Womb: Animals" was due to be broadcast last night, I made plans for another two hours of "can't miss" television. This was almost beyond fantastic, what with an insider's view of the development of unborn baby dogs, elephants, and dolphins. It was another "call the kids in!" moment of great television, after the scenes of a male dog pumping puppies into his bitch had passed, of course. I learned quite a bit about the three mammals appearing in the show. Did you know that baby dolphins begin to develop, then quickly un-develop, feet while in the womb? It would be kind of interesting if a dolphin ad a birth defect that allowed its legs to develop so that it could walk on dry land. Also kind of creepy. And did you know that dolphins' land ancestors are now believed to have been a type of critter called Pakicetid? If you watch the show, you get to see a brief CGI clip of Pakicetids milling about on a shore.

I'm looking forward to the next installment, which airs just over a month from now. National Geographic returns to the human bring for "In the Womb: Multiples". I do not know how they are going to outdo that one. They might as well quit while they're ahead.

1 comment:

C said...

I watched it with my son as well. Of course he's 15 so words like "penis" and "vagina" elicit giggles and pink cheeks. I look forward to the next installment.