Wednesday, December 06, 2006

Sleep In The House Of Reason

This morning, I woke up around 2:30 when the baby started crying. I fed him a bottle, changed his diaper, and tucked him back into bed. He could go to sleep, but I couldn't. Time passed...and a little over an hour before my alarm clock was due to buzz, I got tired enough for a nice little cat nap before getting ready to meet the day.

During my brief sleep, I had a dream. A nice, vivid dream. A dream about bloggers. A dream that just cried out for interpretation. And, after a couple of hours with little else to think about, I think I have it figured out.

I, the "me" of the dream, was in a house. The occupants of the house were four guys named Chad, Saint Paul, JB and Atomizer -- collectively known as Fraters Libertas. This isn't the first time that I have dreamed about meeting the Fraters. (The last one involved a party celebrating the birth of Chad's firstborn a couple of years ago. People were lined up around the perimeter of the kind of room that you would find in a funeral parlor. And the Fraters appeared to be drunk.)

Initially, I assumed that the house in this morning's dream was Chad's house, since he does most of the writing at Fraters. He certainly did most of the talking. The other Fraters occasionally walked past and proffered insights into...whatever, I can't really remember what they were talking about. They all seemed to be sober, for what it's worth. But Chad was always by my side, frequently sticking his face in front of mine and going off on whatever topic he saw fit to comment on. He would do it while I was walking around, which was kind of freaky.

The dream ended when I stepped out the back door and found myself in the backyard of the house where I grew up. I walked over to the back of the yard and looked down on the dead end street at the bottom of the hill. Several houses had been demolished, and an Office Depot was under construction in their place. My last thoughts before waking up were, "This is the dumbest place to put any kind of store".

The "Office Depot coda" aside, I believe that this is the most rational dream that has ever played out on the inside of my eyelids. The house was not a home. The house did not represent any true physical structure. The house was a sort of virtual reality meeting place. The house was the Fraters Libertas blog itself. Chad does most of the talking, while the other three hang around waiting for a chance to say something? Sounds like the blog to me.

How interesting, to physically step inside of a blog and experience it as if it were a live conversation. It was fun. I'd like to do it again.

I have also figured out why I have the occasional dream about Fraters Libertas. The only opportunity I have had to meet any of these guys was during my visit to Keegan's Pub back in August 2005. They weren't there. I did not get to meet them. Perhaps I shall someday; until that time comes, I will be content to see them in my dreams.

No comments: