Friday, February 23, 2007

Environmentalists Can Lick It

Corporate America is comprised of a bunch of pansies.


That's the impression I get after reading this AP article about an anti-global warming initiative spearheaded by Yahoo! and Wal-Mart. A slightly more comprehensive list includes governmental agencies as well as "U.S. mayors, retailers, religious organizations and conservation groups".



The goal of the campaign is to convince consumers to use energy-efficient fluorescent light bulbs in place of traditional incandescent bulbs. Hell, I've been doing that for years. When one of my old bulbs burned out, I'd replace it with a twisty soft serve ice cream cone shaped bulb and they last for years. They do save money, too. The twisty bulbs take the edge off the the electric bills that have gone up due to the expansion of computer usage in my household.


I didn't make the switch because I wanted to help the environment or some hippie bullshit like that. I switched because I wanted a cheap, low-maintenance light bulb. In other words, I did it for good, solid right-wing conservative reasons.


You'd think that Corporate America would be above pandering to the left on issues like this. Sadly, no. Fluorescent bulbs should have been promoted long ago, and not in partnership with loon organizations, either. Wal-Mart et al. are doing the right thing, but for the wrong reasons.

At least I don't live in California or New Jersey, where people are trying to outlaw the incandescent bulb. The last thing I want is the light bulb cops busting into my house checking out all of my lamps.

No comments: