Thursday, August 02, 2007

Minnesota Nightmare

Sometimes, when I'm driving my vehicle across a bridge, I start wondering about what I would do if the bridge suddenly collapsed. Safety is frequently on my mind, probably because I have children. I foresee the possibility of something bad happening in almost everything I do or see and consider the worst case scenario, even if nothing is wrong. How do I protect the kids if something bad happens? I've traveled over bridges thousands of times in almost 40 years of life. Why do I wonder whether I'm going to end up in the river below?

Well, because it really can happen, as it did in the Twin Cities yesterday. This is about the most horrifying thing I've seen since September 2001. The Minnesota bridge collapse hits a little close to home, since I have both close and distant relatives in the area, as well as a number of friends whose acquaintance I have made since I discovered blogging a few years back. I hope my friends and relations up there are alright.

Kudos to the heroes, both authorized first responders as well as the ordinary people who felt the need to help, for their actions on the scene. That was the American spirit in action.

This sort of tragedy could happen anywhere, including here in Pittsburgh. Let's hope it never does.

(Minnesota blog coverage here, here, here, here, here, here, here, here, here, here, here, here, here, here, here. Where's Mitch?)

No comments: