Thursday, September 06, 2007

Farewell, Maestro

By now you may have heard the news that famed tenor Luciano Pavarotti has died at the age of 71. I must admit that I've never been much of a fan of his style of music, perhaps because I was born well into the rock'n'roll era, or maybe because I prefer songs with lyrics that I can at least try to understand -- say, a German opera instead of Italian. But I liked Pavarotti. He truly cared for people, as evidenced by his charity work, and he also strove very hard to become the master of his craft and to remain there as long as his voice could hold out.

He was a successful "crossover" artist, too, having performed with entertainers better known for styles of music other than opera. One particular favorite of mine, Ian Gillan of Deep Purple, considers his opportunities to sing a duet of "Nessun Dorma" with the Maestro to be one of the greatest honors of his life.



Pavarotti excelled at reaching out and inviting others to try something different. I like to think that it helped keep him fresh, too. he certainly didn't look like a man of 71.

No comments: