Friday, September 21, 2007

I Like Him Because He Reminds Me Of Me

Yesterday afternoon I had to come home from work early and caught a few minutes of the replay of the President's morning press conference on C-Span. I rather liked this bit, from the end of the appearance:

Q What is your reaction to the MoveOn.org ad that mocked General Petraeus as General "Betrayus," and said that he cooked the books on Iraq? And secondly, would you like to see Democrats, including presidential candidates, repudiate that ad?

THE PRESIDENT: I thought the ad was disgusting. I felt like the ad was an attack not only on General Petraeus, but on the U.S. military. And I was disappointed that not more leaders in the Democrat Party spoke out strongly against that kind of ad. And that leads me to come to this conclusion: that most Democrats are afraid of irritating a left-wing group like MoveOn.org -- or more afraid of irritating them than they are of irritating the United States military. That was a sorry deal. It's one thing to attack me; it's another thing to attack somebody like General Petraeus.

First, this is from the official transcript at the White House web site. It's been "cleaned up" a bit, by which I mean not that swear words were taken out -- how cool would that be if the President cussed throughout the press conference? -- but that it does not convey all of the hesitation, pauses, and stammering. Anyone who is familiar with the President's public speaking style expects this to happen. I say this not to criticize, but to point out that I wouldn't sound nearly as good if I were in his position. You shouldn't have to be an excellent public speaker in order to hold a position of high authority, though it does help. I just know that I don't plan on speaking in public anytime soon.

Next, I love the way that he says "Democrat Party" instead of "Democratic Party". It pisses off the idiots who pass for viable political opposition these days. They see it as an insult on the level of a racial slur -- which may be accurate, since I am convinced that Democrats belong to a different species than I do. That just makes me want to hear the President use it every day. The left, with its tendency to over-analyze and misinterpret anything a Republican says, goes absolutely bonkers over it. That's why I love it. Because even their men get a PMS attack over it. Democrat Party, Democrat Party, Democrat Party.

(Good old-fashioned "commie" works well, too, but I doubt you'll be hearing that from GWB anytime soon.)

The questioner used one of the stupidest metaphors I have ever heard: "cooked the books". I first heard this when Bill Clinton took office in 1993 and someone -- possibly Leon Panetta -- cried that the Bush (41) administration "cooked the books". At first, I had no idea what they were talking about. It sounded like they were accusing the Republicans of burning literature. Then I wondered if it had something to do with cookbooks, since they White House has its own chef and cooking staff. It made no sense then, and it makes no sense now. It's just as stupid as a term used by my high school Physics teacher: "You fudged your figures". Just say what you mean, damn it!

Finally, I was pleased to hear the President address the topic of MoveOn.org directly, and also to berate the Democrat Party leaders for wimping out in the face of the "progressive" Left. It shows that he's gotten way past that whole "I'm a uniter, not a divided" nonsense. The Left should not be pandered to; it should be marginalized and rendered irrelevant. It's like conducting the War On Terror: You don't coddle and make nice with the people who want to get rid of you. You meet them and defeat them.

Yep, the Democrat and the terrorist: two peas in a pod.

1 comment:

jipzeecab said...

The best thing about that ad is that it revealed "Move On"'s true colors.
No more of this "We support the Troops but not the mission" crap.
It reminds me of how the military attaches and the Secret Service agents felt when Hillary got into the White House and they were treated with total disdain and rudeness.