Monday, November 26, 2007

A More Likely Army?

My father, a World War II veteran who passed away many years ago, sometimes opined that the Army should put old men on the front lines rather than young men. He reasoned that the old men, with their weak knees and pot bellies, would be less capable of running away from a fight, and thus have no choice but to stay and fight to the bitter end. (I suspect he may have been looking in the mirror when he came up with that idea.)

As a former young soldier who was, by that time, a few years past age fifty, he gave me no cause to doubt his reasoning.

He is not the only one who has felt that way. Old Man, the senior correspondent at Too Much Liberty, recently posted a more detailed argument in favor of deploying the elderly. If I could share that post with my dad today, I am sure that he would agree with every tongue-in-cheek word of it.

1 comment:

Sean G said...

Calling The Old Man the senior correspondent just about made me fall out of my chair laughing. I'll have to tell him about this post.