Monday, April 21, 2008

The Day Before Tomorrow

This morning I took a rather circuitous route to work. After dropping my car off for some minor repair work, I took an alternate public transportation route that required me to switch buses in downtown Pittsburgh partway through the journey. I caught the second bus about a block outside of Market Square, which was blocked off by sawhorses. Across the street from my stop, some people were carrying humongous "Hillary" signs. It could mean only one thing: Clinton is in town today!

Actually, it's a BOGO deal: two for the price of one.

If I didn't have to work today, I might have hung around to observe the proceedings. I'm not a protester; if someone from the other side is speaking, I don't boo or heckle. I might keep my arms folded when everyone else applauds, but that's as far as I will go to express dissent.

Even so, I would have felt awkward joining the crowd at a Clinton rally, just as I would at an Obama rally. The last thing I need is for someone I know to spot me and get worked up about me being a Hillary! supporter. Most people with whom I associate on a day to day basis do not know that I am a Republican. If they think I'm supporting a Democrat, I'll have to set them straight, and the days of sunshine and roses will be over. They are not fond of right wingers.

This election is not much easier for someone who actually is a Democrat. My wife has gotten bombarded with mailers and phone calls on behalf of both candidates. She admitted several days ago to having trouble making up her mind. She still hasn't. A girl at my workplace is surrounded at home by a coven of Hillary! feminists. She hasn't made up her mind either, and her housemates are causing her some serious grief. I told her the same thing I told my wife the other day: When in doubt, go with the one you know best. Write yourself in.

The election is too serious for them to take my facetious advice, but I have done so myself in moments of doubt. Heck, if Ron Paul wasn't so tenacious about remaining on the ballot here, I'd probably vote for myself for President.

It's going to be a long line in which I will have to wait my turn to vote tomorrow.

No comments: