Thursday, April 03, 2008

Finally...BSG Is Coming Back To Friday Nights

Some of my favorite television shows are coming back to SciFi channel on Friday nights. It's about time, too! Between the yearlong wait for Battlestar Galactica's fourth season, and the rather less lengthy but nevertheless seemingly interminable wait for new episodes of Doctor Who, I've been bored to tears with nothing to do on Friday evenings. The only other new television program that I view regularly is Heroes, and that's not supposed to come back until the Autumn. Stupid writers strike....

Since I have a habit of viewing everything through the filter of politics NO MATTER HOW HARD I TRY NOT TO, I will refer the reader to this excerpt from Rob Owen's review of the premiere episode of BSG, season four:

The new season may not begin with the resonant parallel to our own world as season three's Cylon occupation of New Caprica (re: Iraq) did, but the series remains as tense and gripping as ever.
Somehow the "New Caprica as Iraq" allegory wasn't obvious to me. Maybe it wasn't supposed to be obvious to me. It just seemed like a tense, gripping story arc meant to entertain me and keep me hooked. I didn't jump up and say, "Ha! I get it! New Caprica is Iraq and the Cylons are the Americans!" One can well imagine BSG's target audience (which does not include me, apparently) whooping it up and high-fiving one another with the hand that they are not masturbating with while discussing the deeper political meaning of the latest episode down at the Vegetarian Fruit & Marijuana Bar. Or whatever it is that Democrats do for fun after they turn off the TV set.

When the BSG miniseries debuted back in 2003, many politically right-wing types assumed that they were the target audience. The Cylons' nuclear attack on the 12 colonies seemed like a cautionary tale about what could happen to the United States of America if Islamic terrorists obtained nuclear weapons. BSG's head honcho, Ronald D. Moore, vehemently denied that he was trying to create such a scenario, and has been trying to throw thinly-veiled criticisms of the United States, and particularly of George W. Bush, into as many scripts as possible. The US practices torture...so let's make an episode about torture! GWB cheats to win elections...so let's make an episode about cheating to win an election! The US is brutally occupying Iraq...so let's make a story arc with the Cylons brutally occupying New Caprica! GWB is a religious fanatic who wants to outlaw abortions...so let's make an episode about a fanatically religious president who outlaws abortions! And so on. (I haven't got all day to do a complete run-down.)

You get the idea. I love the show; it's one of my all-time favorites. Awareness of the bias doesn't hamper my viewing enjoyment. In fact, it makes me laugh because it's so silly. RDM doesn't impress me with his attempts to base his ideas for the show on current events and his personal politics. The show would be better off without it, but I'm still watching. He'll have to try harder than that to alienate me.

1 comment:

rodd said...

Without any hesitation Watch TV Shows Online for free.