Wednesday, April 23, 2008

There's Got To Be A Morning After

Yesterday was not a happy Election Day for me. It has nothing to do with who won or who lost. It has to do with the fact that I ran into some delays during the afternoon and had barely enough time to get to the polling place. Yes, I voted, but I didn't get to have fun with write-ins the way I normally do. There's no enjoyment in voting for unopposed candidates. It almost feels...irresponsible. Like I say every election day: No one deserves a free ride.

The only write-in I had time for was in the race for State Representative. The Republican candidate, whose petition I signed several weeks ago and whose name is listed on several web sites, was not even on the ballot. I don't know why he wasn't there, but I was prepared to vote for him anyway, so I did. Pittsburgh City Councilman Dan Deasy won the Democrat primary, so it can be assumed that he will have a free ride into office come November.

There was a choice for President! As I promised, I voted for Ron Paul. Voting for Ron Paul makes Rauterkus happy. That's a positive thing. Why would you want to upset the man? Also, there was the delightful symbolism of voting for Ron Paul in the very church in which he was married, way back in 1957. Call it a belated fifty-first wedding present.

Plus, as Jim Quinn said this morning, voting for Ron Paul send a message to John McCain. Do all of these Pennsylvania Republicans vote for McCain because they seriously support him, or are they just jumping on the bandwagon because he has the nomination locked? Like I said above, no one deserves a free ride.

Statewide races, Congressional...unopposed, blah blah blah.

Then there were the convention delegates. I had no idea who most of these people were or what candidate they supported, so I voted for the two names I actually recognized and randomly pressed buttons for the rest. Now that's exercising my privileges!

Next stop -- November 4!

No comments: